Monday, December 12, 2011

It's here!

I got my Lehman's order today - I haven't gotten into the pressure canner yet but I dove right into the box of stuff ...
This blue pan is one I purchased about 4 years ago from Lehman's - I use it for everything!

In the summer I use it for washing my produce - during the year I use it to thaw my meat out - I use it for a making my large batches of bread - I use it most often to teach my children a life lesson, when they "forget" to clean off the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher I make them wash the dishes by hand because they are going to need to be treasure again anyways ... It is the rinse pail and fits in the sink pretty good, he handles hold it up off the bottom so things can go down the disposal and it's easy to tip to empty it out several times while washing so that the water stays clean and hot ...

I love this pan ...

Loved it so much that I have a little rust spot on the inside where it got chipped somehow ... Not a big deal to me for doing dishes or thawing out meat which is packaged up (well repackaged when I get it home so I know it's freezer safe)

So I wanted another one for making dough in since it has direct surface contact for a long period of time ... Plus I wanted something I could use for rinsing out my dyed yarn in since the other pails I ordered for that turned out to be too small for the job (ordered from the now defunct Tender Heart Treasures) ...

So I ordered the WHITE one instead ...

Now Lehman's made it look as if they were the same size - well that is that when you go to the page it gives you the two choices but they only list color as a difference ... I learned differently

As you can see in the photo of the blue pan (pardon the bit of a mess behind it, the kids did dishes) the pan fits nice in the sink - the handles are nice and thick to hold the weight of the water plus the dishes ...

But the white dishpan ...
Well it is too big ... Way too big

It won't fit, even tilted it won't fit - not even on the diagonal ... The black bits you see in the bottom of the pan is the label that I was having issues getting off ... I'm not sure how I'm gonna get that off, but it and the residue needs to be off before I can use it for food prep

So how much bigger is it?

Here's a photo of the blue pan in the white pan - the only thing that is keeping the blue pan from sitting in there flat/completely are the handles on the blue dishpan ...

On the plus side - when it comes to food prep for the canning (HWB or PC) it is going to be nice ... Or when we make corn when the crop comes in - oh my, I can imagine how much I can get in there!

Then there will be tubs of popcorn that will go in ...
@@@@@
Follow up
Ok there's a real problem now ...

The pan is too large to fit in my oven ... I like to put the pan of dough in there to rise ... But more importantly, I like to put my metalware in the oven to dry thoroughly especially if they might rust ... Usually it's still warm from the night's supper

But this isn't going to fit! I'm going to have to tilt it in there I guess ... And I suppose a heating pad under the pan might be enough to maintain the necessary temp for optimal rise ... But it could be drafty which isn't good for rising bread either

Oh well -

Also on the box was gaskets for our Villa food mill, but looking at them I think they will be too large but I think they mint fit our blender which also needs a new gasket ...

And a new screen for our villa ... Although it's not the pumpkin/grape/cherry screens I was expecting ... It is just a replacement basic screen - but it could probably use a new on of those too since it's like 10 years old or something like that (we bought it shortly after moving in for doing applesauce) ...

And my new canning books!

With the new regulations/recommendations from the FDA on canning - I don't want to use the old ones I was finding until I learned a bit more ...

I ordered the two books I see most often referred to on YouTube and seems to be the ones recommended the most on amazon and Barnes&Noble

"The Blue Book" from the ball Canning company - considers to be the Canning Bible - first published in 1909, the recipes are updated and retested before each printing I've been told ... This one was reprinted in 2010

More than just jams & jellies - it also has information/recipes for hot-water-bath canning, pressure canning, freezing, dehydrating, it has a guide for planning your crops for what you want to put up, and even a special section on solving common issues ...

That's a lot of information for just pp122 - that's not including the glossary or the index because to me that isn't really part of the book.

The other book is thicker but a tad smaller ... It's "The Complete Book of Home Preserving" also by the Ball Company ... It has 429 pages not including the index or glossary.

It is supposed to have about 400 recipes in there that cover equipment, jams, salsa/relish, condiments, pickles, a whole chapter just to tomatoes, pressure canning, the science of food preservation, plus a few other cool features.

I will have fun reading though these as much as I'm enjoying checking out the videos on YouTube!

No comments:

Post a Comment