Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Cotton Picking Crop

Bit of TRIVIA TIME

WHICH STATE PRODUCES THE MOST COTTON?

A) Mississippi
B) Alabama
C) South Carolina
D) Texas
E) Oklahoma 

Answer in a moment ...

First lets look at the progress of cotton harvest

77% Nation-wide
DOWN 6%
83% is the 5-yr avg

TX 57% in (down 22%)
OK 56% in (down 12%)

I would assume that the drop can be linked to the cooler/shorter summer & early winter-like weather so far this season.

Cotton -while it does make a great yarn & thread - is one crop I have never wished to plant.

Maybe it was the Sally Field movie where they showed the damage cotton picking does to the hands ... more than likely it was the American Girls book "Meet Addy" where they describe what it's really like in the fields.  

I have no desire to stick my fingers amongst a bunch of nails to pull out a tiny bundle of fluff -- I'd rather pay for it!

Okay - now that question above

TRIVIA TIME ANSWER

D)  Texas 

Produces the most cotton in the USA ...

Imagine that!

I thought it would be one of the "Confederate" states

No comments:

Post a Comment