Monday, September 19, 2011

Stand Signs

So a couple weekends ago I was given the task of putting my artistic skills into action.

Hubby took the old plywood signs which he had made up using a can of spray paint to do the lettering ... Nothing fancy - and to tell the truth it looked like something any kid could do ...

He took his old signs and painted them all on one side with white latex paint ... and then said "tomorrow paint the signs" ... Huh?

Luckily I had enough of what I needed to do the job - the paint, the outdoor flow medium, the brushes, the talent, and the time ... Oh and a couple of new podcasts that I was looking for an excuse to listen to.

So here is a fairly step-by-step tutorial of how to paint a set of signs ...

STEP 1: after the primer is dried, paint on a basic cob shape (make sure it's big enough to see from several car-lengths away so people have time to move over safely)
From Gargoyle Gardens

STEP 2: Paint on the leaves - this is trickier than you think ... If you try to make it look "realistic" it will look more like an artichoke, so just stylize it)
From Gargoyle Gardens

STEP 3: Do the lettering ... Make them fairly large, at least 4" tall but 6" is better.
From Gargoyle Gardens

STEP 4: Allow the signs to dry completely ...
here are my painted signs ...
PLACKARD SIDE 1
From Gargoyle Gardens
PLACKARD SIDE 2
From Gargoyle Gardens
NOTICE THE HOLES - hubby put them in before painting and it made working with things much easier. We attached the two sides of the placard together with three zip-tis per hole but not pulled too tightly or else you won't be able to open the sign to stand up.

POLE SIGN
From Gargoyle Gardens
This just leans up against a sign post or side of the corn cart where cross traffic can see it - you'd be surprised how much traffic you'd get ... It was rather windy so my daunted and her boyfriend used a bungy cord to keep it from flopping down.

They thought they were in trouble at one point when an officer pulled up and got out ... With the way they've been closing lemonade stands & girl scout cookie booths lately, it was a legitimate concern ... Luckily the officer just wanted a dozen ears (and I suppose check out the situation)

I was actually shocked at how few of our actual neighbors came by for corn ... I mean if you had a farmers market just down the street from you, wouldn't you go there instead of hauling yourself all the way across town to get fresh food? I know I would. But then that's just me ... Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment